MONTHLY MAINTENANCE TIPS – February
Here is a list of helpful maintenance tips for the month of February. Please note that the below information is specific to the North Texas area and as always; any feedback you have is most welcome!
WHAT TO PRUNE / TRIM:
- Trees – Texas A&M pruning and planting guide.
- Roses (except climbing roses) – Texas AgriLife guide to rose pruning.
WHAT TO PLANT
- Winter annuals such as pansies, dianthus, snap dragons and chard.
- Spring annuals and cool season vegetables (those vegetables of which you eat the roots or leaves). Please follow the instructions on the seed packages and/or refer to the Farmer’s Almanac. Farmer’s Almanac Vegetable Planting Guide
- Divide and re-plant summer and fall perennials while they are still dormant. North Haven Gardens Bulb Tips
- Native cold-hardy trees and shrubs
WHAT TO FERTILIZE
- Annuals – be sure you are using a complete, water-soluble fertilizer
- Roses – after trimming back (see above guide for trimming), fertilize with a nitrogen rich fertilizer
- Mulch plants to insulate from cold and prevent weeds from popping up when the weather starts to warm.
- Cover more tender plants such as annuals, perennials, vines and new plantings with frost cloth as necessary to protect from harsh freezes.
- If you mow your own lawn, now is a great time to get your lawn mower serviced and blades sharpened before spring.
Continue watering only on an as needed basis. More Info.